Just finished fixing the bridge on this really cool German Lute Guitar. The owner and I were discussing a complete overhaul including changing the bracing to sound more like a traditional lute. We decided against that since the instrument is still in such good shape. The bridge needed some cracks repaired though, so now it is back in operation.
I am selling the plans I made for the Stradivari Baroque Guitar. They are mostly based off of the Sabionari guitar from 1679. I detail some of the aspects of tone and give string dimensions and sources for materials as well. Let me know if you are interested by filling out the form below.
Digital Copy: $30
Printed Copy: $50
Making progress on my classical guitar build. At the “in the white stage” where everything is scraped and ready for shellac. Top is Carpathian Spruce and the back and sides is a very green set of Bocote. I managed a good display of the gorgeous sapwood on the back. Overall the back and sides turned out very interesting.
I am showing my instruments at Marylhurst University on April 28th and 29th from 12-5 on both days. If you are in the Portland area, come by and say hi. There will be a lot of luthiers showing their work.
Here is a short and beautiful Scottish piece for the Renaissance lute.
It is from the Rowallen Lute Book (c. 1620)
Got the Stradivari Baroque guitar all done! Now it’s time to play and enjoy the fruits of all my labor. It took over a year with all the planning and other interruptions that life brings. Lots of effort and problem solving, it was fun! I am going to sell the plan I made online somewhere, stay tuned for that.
Got the Stradivari Baroque Guitar all finished! Strung it up with Aquila Nylgut strings. It has a long scale at 74 cm. I will post a video soon to show how it sounds.
New project! Getting close to completion on a copy of the Stradivari Sabionari Baroque Guitar. I created my own plan of the instrument based on measurements, thicknesses and photos of the original. Can’t wait to listen to the finished product! Still have a ways to go. The final details are so crucial and time consuming. I will keep you updated on the progress.
Here is a sound sample of the 13 course baroque lute.
I recorded a sound sample of the 7 course lute pictured here. This lute has yew ribs, engelmann spruce belly and is strung with nylgut strings.
Here is the sound link: http://soundcloud.com/eric-shull/dowland-lute
Here is the bowl pretty much finished. I will double check the surface for glue residue before continuing. The counter cap of spruce will be glued on the inside bottom of the bowl for extra support. I think the inside view of the bowl with the paper glued in-between ribs is one of my favorite aspects of lute building. I really like the pattern and contrast it creates.
I am working on the right pigment for coloring the maple wood bowl on the 13-course lute. The top picture is the difference between the natural blonde color of maple and what it looks like after pigment is applied. Most luthiers color their instruments in the finishing stage. I posted a picture of a violin “in the white” below to show what a violin looks like before being finished and deepened with color. Notice how the sample that I colored above has a much more distinct curly pattern. These are both from the same piece of wood. Some recipes for violin varnish require the addition of iron oxide to the varnish to make the deep red we so commonly see on these instruments. Iron oxide is part of the pigment that I put on the piece of maple pictured above. Iron oxide (also known as rust) can give a beautiful depth to a finished instrument.
Here is the beginning of the construction of an eleven ribbed lute bowl in maple. It begins life as a thin slat of wood that is carefully planed down and then bent to the shape of the wooden mould. The ribs are fitted one by one trimming and refining until all the edges meet cleanly for a fit that conforms to the shape of the mould and the rib next to it. The bowl has an ugly look now, very unrefined with glue on it and untrimmed edges on the front; that will all be cleaned up later.
I am using Adobe Illustrator to create rose patterns that are very precise and easy to scale. This is going to be a rose for the 13 course baroque lute after Magno Dieffopruchar I am currently working on. I took a classic rose pattern and slightly altered it. I used the functions within the program to make the pattern symmetrical.